Thursday, June 4, 2009

The First 30 Days in Texas...


I'd heard the stories, but didn't realize that Texas actually IS it's own country. (Guess I'm glad they didn't make me get a passport to move here). That pretty much summarizes the mad dash that has characterized my first 30 days in Houston.

I love the people here 100%. I've already met a whole gaggle of fun folks to dance, drink, and conquer the world with me... I haven't been through the crazy heatwaves that everyone complains about - but I'm not holding my breath.

Texas is also SUPER cheap. Great food, houses, drinks, etc are less than half of what they cost in So Cal, so I'm enjoying that to the fullest. For me that means dancing a few nights a week, exploring the new areas of town like Rice Village, Mid Town, Montrose and meeting lots-o-people along the way.

As for the reason that I moved here - 30 days in I've got my insurance license and am hoping to be out on the road helping business owners by next week. To accomplish this I've had to pass my test, get finger printed, file all the maddening paperwork, and deal with governmental employees... All while living on my best friend's couch. How's that for FUN?

Anyway, if my first 30 days is any crystal ball indicating how the rest of my time here will be spent, then I'm excited! If you have any suggestions on what I should check out next, feel free to comment!

1 comment:

  1. derick i am sooooo glad to hear things are going so well. you deserve it!

    ReplyDelete